Who is eligible for U-Pass BC?
You are eligible for U-Pass BC at Langara if:
- you are a student enrolled in Regular Studies; and
- you are registered in at least three (3) credits (not including online, Guided Independent Studies, Field School, Audited, Flexible Assessment or tuition-free Adult Basic Education / preparatory courses); and
- you are assessed student union fees.
- students enrolled only in Adult Basic Education courses may be eligible if they are enrolled in at least nine (9) credits of A.B.E.
- students enrolled in less than three (3) credits may qualify if total tuition exceeds $680
For clarification, students in the following programs are not eligible for U-Pass BC:
- Continuing Studies
- STEP and LEAP programs
- Outgoing Exchange and Field School
- registered only in online, GIS or Flexible Assessment courses
- registered only in Adult Basic Education courses totalling less than nine (9) credits
Furthermore, any student will cease to be eligible for the program if they have dropped or withdrawn from all eligible courses during the term, and must return any not-yet valid passes issued to them.
How many months of U-Pass BC am I entitled to?
Students that remain registered in a full-semester course are eligible for four (4) months of U-Pass BC in the Spring 2014 semester (January - April). The eligible months cannot be changed or extended for any reasons including course obligations that extend past the end of the term.
What if I am registered in a half-semester course?
Students registered in an eligible three (3) credit half-semester course are assessed $70 and are eligible for two (2) months of U-Pass BC.
Can I be exempt from the program?
U-Pass BC is a mandatory program. However, students meeting one of the following provisions and who have not picked up a U-Pass BC for the semester may apply for an exemption by submitting a completed Exemption Request Form and all necessary documentation by the fifth day of the semester.
- Students holding a valid U-Pass BC from another institution in Metro Vancouver
- Students holding another valid non-transferable TransLink transit pass
- Students with a documented physical or psychological condition that would prevent transit use
- Students enrolled in a single course with on-campus classes scheduled for only one day per week
Application for Exemption
To be considered for exemption, the student must have never received a Langara U-Pass BC for the semester or have returned the pass before the first day it becomes valid for use. Due to a limited number of exemptions available, no request approval is guaranteed. Students are encouraged to apply early and provide complete information.