To qualify for the Co-op Program a student must:

  • complete COOP 2300 (formerly BUSM 2300) with a "C" or higher
  • be enrolled in a full-time course load (registered for a minimum of 3 courses per semester)
  • maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.6 (B-) in your program

To qualify for subsequent work terms, the student must:

  • receive a satisfactory evaluation from the employer during the previous work term
  • remain enrolled as a full-time student in subsequent academic term
  • maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.6 (B-) in your program

For all programs* students will typically apply for Co-op when they complete their first term of studies and have completed COOP2300. Successful applicants will usually participate in their first work term during term three. Their second work term is usually during term five. Co-op students have to end on an academic term*. 

*University-transfer Co-op is offered in specialized situations only. Qualified students who have completed the first two years of a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree and are transferring to a university to complete their degree, may qualify for a co-op term. University-transfer Students can complete a single work term after a study term and just before transfer to their receiving university program.

It is advisable to discuss your plans with a Co-op Education Instructor, contact us at, 604.323.5480 or in room C121.

Check out what skills co-op employers are looking for.

Co-op Prerequisites

COOP 2300 (formerly BUSM 2300) - Employment Strategies for Current Labour Markets

COOP 2300 is a prerequisite to qualify for co-operative education. Although it has been developed with co-op students’ needs in mind, it is open to all students. Students in two-year programs should take this course in their first term of studies. Other students should remember that they need to take this course when they are developing their plan of study.

COOP 2300 is a three-credit lecture/seminar course that will provide students with knowledge of what it takes to get a job in today’s constantly changing workplace. This course will give students a chance to learn, as well as practice, each of the steps towards attaining a job, including: self-assessment, resume and cover letter writing, networking and interviewing skills as well as job search tactics. Students will develop and produce a professional career portfolio which can be used throughout their career.

“The skills you learn in the COOP 2300 course are indispensable. From professional resume/cover letter preparation to extensive interview training/preparation; it could be the most powerful step anyone can take towards getting hired. The terrific staff at the Langara College Co-op office can help you to be head and shoulders above the competition. If you are serious about getting a job, COOP 2300 is an absolute must.”

Attila Fritz, 
Computer Information Systems Graduate

International Students

At Langara College, international students are encouraged to participate in Co-op Education. You must, however, have the proper work permit to allow you to work in Canada. Other than this, the same rules apply to international students as to other students.

When you have been accepted into co-op, ask your Co-op Education Instructor to provide you with a letter stating that you will be participating in our co-op program. Attach it to your work permit application.

Next, apply for the appropriate work permit. Our International Education Department can help you. They will look over your application to make sure you have requested the correct work permit and that you have completed the form accurately. Make sure you start the process early as it can take up to 10 weeks to process your application. When you receive your work permit, you will be able to apply for co-op jobs. 

Finally, obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN). There is no cost to apply for a SIN. You need a SIN to work in Canada. Employers must request and view an employee’s SIN card and record the number within three days of starting employment. It takes approximately 3 weeks to process your application. Remember that the SIN card is not an identity card and is not an authorization to work in Canada. For more information and to access an application form, go to Service Canada's website.