Voice Online Faculty Editor and Multimedia Instructor
Temporary, Part-Time (0.25 FTE)
Subject Area: JOUR 2278: Multi-Media Production II
Langara is Western Canada’s oldest journalism program. Graduates work at media outlets throughout B.C., across Canada and around the world in print, radio, television, online, in public relations and as freelancers. The journalism department is staffed by prominent, professional and dedicated instructors. The department offers a one-year Certificate program for students with a bachelor’s degree – the only program like this west of Ontario -- and a two-year Diploma program for students who do not have a degree. The program retains its original high reputation for fostering strong print newswriting skills but now includes a foundation for skills in all media platforms.
Required Qualifications for all applicants:
- Minimum 10 years experience in professional, paid journalism
- Teaching experience at the post-secondary level and master’s degree in a relevant discipline are preferred
- Applicants with the most current experience and who demonstrate strong familiarity with evolving models of journalism and the use of multiple platforms for reporting, including social media, are preferred.
Description of Position: JOUR 2278: Multi-Media Production II (Voice Online faculty editor and multimedia instructor)
One section; taught Tuesday afternoons
Note: One section per semester equals quarter time; four sections equal full time. One section normally requires four classroom hours per week, plus office hours for student consultations as well as class-preparation and marking time.
This position involves teaching a one-month boot camp in social media that trains students how to set up and use tools for social storytelling: Twitter, Facebook, ScribbleLive and Storify; Wordpress for blogging; and production of online content, including videos, podcasts and photo galleries.
For the next two months of the term, the instructor mentors and oversees student web editors in producing The Voice Online (langaravoice.ca), the accompanying website to The Voice, Langara College’s weekly newspaper that is used as a teaching tool. Working together with other faculty in the journalism department who oversee production of the print newspaper, The Voice Online faculty editor will teach students how to produce multimedia content for the website. The faculty editor ensures the website meets high standards for reporting, research, accuracy, news judgment, and responsible journalism, including plagiarism, libel and copyright obligations.
- Minimum 10 years experience in professional journalism.
- Minimum five years’ experience managing or producing news online and using social media
- tools and multiple platforms. Familiarity with all major social media platforms.
- Applicants must be able to assist students in setting up social media and blog accounts (experience with
- WordPress is an asset), and handling technical issues with multimedia production
Length of appointment: January 1, 2014 - April 30, 2014
Start Date: January 1, 2014
Salary Range: Salary placement on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date.
For further information regarding this opportunity, please contact Frances Bula, Department Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.812.6205.
Closing Date: October 28, 2013.
Competition No.: F039-13
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. We are committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.